Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: IBM secureway firewall

From: firegod <firegod () cobal org>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 19:17:37 -0500

At 03:18 PM 12/4/2002 -0500, you wrote:

Anyone has experience with this beast?  Anyone know the history of the
product?

During my time at IBM's Universal Server Farm, I easily built over 60 of these (mostly around the time they did the version transition from Secure Network Gateway to calling it Secureway - around that time they gave it an interface that was very Gauntlet-ish and added a lot more app=proxy and VPN features changing it from what was basically a text file with ACL's). They used it there primarily as a packet filter. We didn't use any of the application proxy features, but I will agree with everyone else that for what it was, it was it worked fairly well. In the older versions there were a lot of gotchas trying to use the VPN features with NAT as well.

The problems that plagued us most with it - at least through version 4.x were mainly ones of throughput, it simply couldn't deal with a high amount of packets per second (it was a web server farm so most of the traffic was small packet, bursty traffic) it started dropping a lot of traffic between 5k and 8k pps IIRC.

--
oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo
Anybody can be a non-drunk. It takes a special talent to be a