Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SecureID vs Certificates

From: Peter Lukas <plukas () oss uswest net>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 08:44:35 -0600 (CST)

I'd hate to stray even further off-topic, but to your point, stolen
tokens, when coupled with something like an ID badge, can provide an
intruder with enough information to attempt mischeif.  Especially an
intruder that's been "casing the joint."  In this instance, we trust the
user to give notice of the stolen token immediately and this is the case,
that happens not always.

As for the "uniquely have" portion, I assume you mean a physical
trait.  Unfortunately, that physical trait ends up digitized somewhere
where it can be mass-(re)produced.  It's pretty difficult to cut off my
finger, it's not nearly as such to capture the digital bits of my
fingerprint.

How about "something you have, something you know and something you can
prove?"  ATM cards are relatively successful since they're unlocked with a
PIN.  How about coupling that feature with something I can prove like a
challenge/response mechanism.  Without giving gratuitous recommendations
of specific products on the market today, I'll say that such products
exist and SecurID isn't in the bunch.

Peter Lukas