Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SecureID vs Certificates

From: Jeffery.Gieser () minnesotamutual com
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 12:35:07 -0600

Tony,

#Kind of a high level questions on trade offs between SecureID or
Certificates.
#It would seem pretty obvious that SecureID is a better system BUT for many
#situations it would seem to me that certificates would be a reasonable
form of
#two factor authentication.  Can anyone provide a good reason why not to
use
#certificates over SecureID?
#Is it even reasonable to classify certificates as two factor?

There can be multiple copies of your certificate.  I may be able to
compromise your computer and steal your certificate without you finding
out.  With the SecurID card, I know I lost my card or it was stolen.
Unless you have a way of determining the number on the card without having
the card (which is possible but hopefully very difficult) you need the
physical card.  The SecurID system should be much easier to maintain than
PKI as well.

Regards,
Jeffery Gieser