Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SecureID vs Certificates

From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks () cadence com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 10:17:12 -0800 (PST)

From: "Tony Miedaner" <miedaner () twcny rr com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 10:18:05 -0500

Hi Folks,

Kind of a high level questions on trade offs between SecureID or
Certificates.  It would seem pretty obvious that SecureID is a better
system BUT for many situations it would seem to me that certificates
would be a reasonable form of two factor authentication.  Can anyone
provide a good reason why not to use certificates over SecureID?

It would seem to me that certificates are good when the user does not
change locations.  I believe that SecurID was designed for use when the
user changes machines frequently, or when the user is not at a fixed
location.

Just my $0.02 worth...

Regards,
Gregory Hicks
Gregory Hicks                | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems       | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1  | Fax:      408.894.3479
San Jose, CA 95134           | Internet: ghicks at.not.fo.spam cadence.com

Is it even reasonable to classify certificates as two factor?

It is understood that if someone can take control your computer they
may be able to use the cert.

Any insight is much appreciated as always:-)