Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Appliance firewall

From: bnairn () Telenisus com
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 16:45:54 -0500

The PIX appliance is a robust packet filter with embedded code, whereas the
Nokia has a hard drive and runs Checkpoint FW-1 over top a boiled down BSD
kernel.  That's the major difference. The Nokia was probably left out,
because the speaker felt the Nokia wasn't a "true" appliance.  I've fought
this battle before, over the NFR appliance and it's having a hard drive.

The Nokia is an excellent device and has impressive throughput.  The only
problem with the Nokia devices, 330, 440, or 650, is that chassis space is
finite. Once you begin talking about large scale firewalls, you may want to
use a Sun Enterprise class server, which is more scalable.

Last thing to note.  Intrusion.com is emerging with an appliance that looks
really good.  It may cause a war between the likes of Nokia and
Intrusion.com and Checkpoint.

Bryan