Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall/VPN recommendation for (Ex-) Gauntlet reseller

From: "Ryan Reynolds" <rreynolds () theocc com>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 14:46:54 -0500

The Nokia IP650 has six expansion slots.  One must be used for the disk, so you
can have a max of five quad cards, or 20 ethernet ports.

-Ryan

Chris Calabrese wrote:

Stuart Flisher wrote:

Which platform? Easiest is probably the Nokia boxes for low to medium
traffic. I think there is a limit of four NICs on the Nokia box if it is
important. Nokia boxes can be configured for failover.

Yes, but each Ethernet NIC is 4 ports, so that's 16 Ethernet ports.

[...] Sun boxes probably
offer better performance than Nokia boxes.

Depends on which Sun box and which Nokia box.  From what I've seen,
a top of the line Nokia 650 box will do about as well as a Sun 220/250 with
a single processor.  The difference is that you can keep adding more
hardware in the Sun world, whereas it's hard to soup up a toaster.

If you need VPN accelerator cards then I don't think the Nokia boxes support
them (yet)

Yes, the Nokia boxes support VPN accelerator cards.