Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: MSN... stay away? or OK?

From: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy () cospo osis gov>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 12:53:41 -0400

On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 10:18:54AM -0700, Don Harris wrote:
Guru advice please.

Could we allow clients to safely use MSN services including Netmeeting
options with MSN from our LAN to the internet.

Last report I heard, to use MS NetMeeting, one has to make as many
holes in a firewall as in a piece of Swiss cheese.  It doesn't sound
like it's conducive to security.

Any other services from MSN would have to be evaluated on a per-case
basis.  Remember, their first goal is not to help you, but to line
Bill's pockets and consolidate the world into an MS-only world.

--
Joe Yao                         jsdy () cospo osis gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support                                     EMT-B