Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: High Speed Firewalls

From: woody weaver <woody () fullspeed com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 20:28:27 -0800

A couple of points:

1.  (obligatory mathematical note from an ex math professor) The
rainwall actually scales sublinearly.  Each machine (tries to) talk to
every other machine, and there are election rules and etc.  That sort of
overhead increases as the square of the number of firewalls, and so at
some point, the complexity of that computation would start getting
significant. (end obligatory math note)

2.  Scaling requires a fair amount of network design -- creation of
"virtual IPs" to subdivide traffic flows.  This is relatively
straightforward for two or three firewalls, or if the geometry of the
environment suggests how to split the traffic, but to try to get tenfold
throughput would be a challenge, I think.

I think it is an *excellent* product for high availability and low
multiple load balancing.

--woody