Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: High Speed Firewalls

From: Rick Murphy <rmurphy () mitretek org>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 08:14:46 -0500

At 10:51 AM 3/1/00 -0500, Henry Baez wrote:
I am doing research on very high speed firewalls.  I mean firewalls that
are right now available that could handle OC3 and higher speeds via Gig
Byte Etherenet cards.  In searching the recent posting of this list and
a lot of general web searching, I have found only one firewall that
claims they can do so.  It is call POTUS from a company called Livermore
Software Laboratories.  I would very much like to find at lease another
vendor which at lease matches the claim of PORTUS, 300 MB plus through
put.  Management, bless them, likes to have choices, I would like to
present more then one vendor if possiable.

Since your requirement is for large bulk file transfers, I'd be wary - or at least ask the vendor to let you validate their performance claims. If I'm not mistaken, Portus uses a ftp proxy. To get anything like 300 MB/s through a proxy is going to use a really big hulking machine - especially if you're talking a small number of FTP streams. Even 300 megabit/sec is pretty unlikely unless it's a big box. I agree with the other folks that using a filtering router is probably the lowest cost solution for you.
        -Rick