Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Help, some one's hacked into my home computer

From: "Mike MacKinnon, Michelle McHugh" <mikennon () attcanada net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 09:50:02 -0400

I consider this completely non-technical, but I have seen it overlooked many times. If you have a permanent internet
connection like DSL modem, and you have read\write access to you drives, put a password on those shares (sorry if you
already have, but i missed any mention of it). Someone I used to share an office with found all the available shares in
plain old Network Neighborhood with his DSL connection. The ISP was new to setting them up and had never implemented
any sort of security to prevent this. My friend just browsed (not hacked) onto all the computers that were on his local
router, full access, unless they had a password.

But as someone else mentioned, Win95/98 is just not secure.

and Black Ice and other such programs give you all the dirty details about such entries.

mike