Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Legal question

From: "Larry Fitzpatrick" <lef () acm org>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 21:58:57 -0500

A bit more information. I hope Mr. Chabinsky (many thanks, and sorry for mis-spelling his name last time) doesn't mind
my relaying
more of his commentary.  He says:

Best always though to look straight to the source to capture all the details, so here are the federal law citations
(available
on-line, for free).  For montoring content, see 18 U.S.C. 2511 () , and with respect to reporting child pornography you
might look
at  ISP Child Abuse Reporting ().  The trap and trace question is not easily answered on the face of the statute, and
would be
subject to judicial interpretation, because the statute when written did not anticipate network traffic, see 18 U.S.C.
3127() .

(http://law2.house.gov/uscode-cgi/fastweb.exe?getdoc+uscview+t17t20+1057+0++()%20%20AND%20((18)%20ADJ%20USC):CITE%20AND%20(USC%20w/1
0%20(2511)):CITE)

ISP Child Abuse Reporting (http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/ceos/report.htm)