Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Sizing a firewall

From: "daN." <dan () nesmail com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 09:57:48 -0800

        They are going to pipe 25,000 internet connections through 1 T1??? wow,
lunch time is guna be slower than a dialup :P make sure you can set
priority Ques on whatever firewall/routers you decide to put in place so
you can give priority to DNS/mail/whatever else over web traffic...Most of
the companies I've setup with over 500 users complain that a T1 is to
slow..I hope that the T1 is only for users and mabey a mail server, if they
are expecting to run a webserver through that as well they may have some
problems.  As a rule of thumb I never allow more than 1000 Desktop Users on
a T1..

Dan Steele
Network Admin
Westnet Management.