Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Sizing a firewall

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 12:27:20 -0600 (CST)

First off a t1 is not enough pipe for that many clients...

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

On Wed, 29 Dec 1999, Walt Sullivan wrote:

I'm consulting for a Canadian government agency that plans to allow
desktop access to the Internet for the first time next year (yes, I
know, "Forward into the 70's", but is is government).

They think they have about 25,000 desktops (Windows 95/98, shudder).

How can I help them predict the amount of traffic they'll see on their
T1 connection?

Is there anybody out there running a firewall for 25K desktops that is
willing to share an order-of-magnitude guess?

Thanks,

Walt

--
        admin & senior consultant:  darkstar.sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!