Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

FW-1 slowdown

From: "Cannella, Michael (ISS Southfield)" <mcannell () iss net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 11:24:13 -0500

From: Ray Zupancic [mailto:rzupancic () corp webb net] Monday, January 17,
2000 6:50 PM
I inherited a network with a Checkpoint 4.0 FW-1 on an Ultra5 running
Solaris 2.6 with 128 megs of ram.  Originally it was two
identical systems
clustered with Veritas Firstwatch

In any case, this system mysteriously slows to a crawl and
stops processing traffic at random times of the day--usually
up to 10 minutes or so--and then resumes without intervention.
The only thing I can see is that the system usage goes to 100,
and the run queue skyrockets due to this (there is not process running
away, it seems to be kernel).

Do you have any network objects of type "domain?"

Because the firewall relies on DNS to resolve these objects, any funniness
with DNS can cause random erratic performance.  Best advice is to avoid them
completely.  If you can't (you probably could if you tried), make sure
domain object rules are at the bottom of the rulebase.

It's one idea....

-----michael cannella  mailto:mcannella () iss net
-----Internet Security Systems, eServices
-----http://www.iss.net/