Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Recent Attacks

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 08:37:24 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 21 Feb 100, Darren Reed wrote:

In some email I received from Paul D. Robertson, sie wrote:
[...]
Viruses have *clearly* cost more money over time, and yet I don't see the
same outroar there.  I'm not sure if that's due to market dynamics (it's a
good business to be in the "antivirus" vendor space), or if it's something
else, or maybe the sentencing this week is the start of that?

Viruses are a problem which can be `managed'.  They're `damage' is also

Only after the fact.

localized in effect - a pc here or there and aren't exactly something
which is high profile.  Keep backups of important data, etc, and you're

Melissa dropped several companies e-mail systems off the Net for quite a
while.

But these attacks do more than that.  They also, with their publicity,
suggest that perhaps the Internet isn't the most fabulous place to be
generating new business.  With all the billions of dollars put into
the Internet, the last thing a lot of people want to feel is that it's
wasted money or even at risk with no long term way of protecting people
from the DDoS attaks.

Long-term there are plenty of ways to protect from DDoS attacks, and some
of them will even work.  It's the short- to mid-term that's the problem.
However, I still think that trying to call network scanners akin
to munitions when VCL isn't is lopsided.  Then again, I think the idiot
who put a programming language into a word processor should be shot.

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () clark net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280