Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Recent Attacks

From: "Chris Crozier" <chris () cirrus co za>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 08:54:28 +0200

Marcus Ranum wrote:

So do I. Indeed, I think that it may boil down to some kind of
professional certification being necessary. There are analogs
to this - locksmithing certification, federal firearms license, etc.
That's part of what I meant about how that grey area is going to
get real thin, soon.

Isn't there an analogy with early use of air travel? When flight first
started, if you had an aeroplane you flew when and where you chose. No-one
(?) would argue today in the name of civil liberties that pilots should be
free to take off and land anytime and any place they wished, in any kind of
aircraft. The internet is going to have to go through the same transition
from unregulated free-for-all to controlled usage for similar reasons, i.e.
the damage that can be caused by reckless or deliberately malicious use is
unacceptably high. Admittedly there is not the same risk to life, though
conceivably that could also come into play as more systems rely on the
internet as a component.

Chris