Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: IPChains and firewall rules

From: marty <marty () supine com>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 18:05:44 +1000 (EST)

There isn't going to be any blocking of internal to external traffic.  There
will be DHCP for the internal network and IPMasq running of course.
What about IP spoofing, any rules that should be added for that?
There will be no users logging in from the outside for now ( maybe with SSH
later on, but I don't think that will be a problem).

A few things you have to consider:

the "internal -> external" traffic you are letting thru will generate
firewall holding state - ie. it remembers what connections have been
opened by internal hosts and allows traffic thru for those connections)...

if you are allowing ftp, either you need some way of the firewall to
recognise the ftp server opening a valid data channel, or the clients need
to support passive open, where they initiate the connection...

later
marty

"I can't buy what I want because it's free. Can't be what they want
because I'm me." - Corduroy, Pearl Jam