Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

IPChains and firewall rules

From: Simeon Johnston <simeonuj () eetc com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 14:47:12 -0500

I am setting up a firewall for a small company and am wondering what kind of
rules to use with ipchains.  It is running on a SuperSPARC 10 and will not
allow any access through to the internal network.  What I am wondering
specifically is if I need any rules at all.  If the default input policy is
to deny and I have turned off all open ports to the outside, what use is
there in having rules to block nonexistent traffic?
I have not really done this before so if I am wrong, please bring me to the
Light.
There isn't going to be any blocking of internal to external traffic.  There
will be DHCP for the internal network and IPMasq running of course.
What about IP spoofing, any rules that should be added for that?
There will be no users logging in from the outside for now ( maybe with SSH
later on, but I don't think that will be a problem).

Any ideas

sim