Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

re: How do folks firewall MS Exchange?

From: "David Goldsmith" <dave.goldsmith () rappatech com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 09:43:28 -0400

For "secure" access THRU the firewall, the suggestions made by Joe are probably it (OWA or IMAP/POP thru SSL w/OE).

If you want to use the full Outlook client, there is NO SECURE way to go thru the firewall ... you would have to open
up ports 135, 137, 138, 139 and whatever ports the Exchange services are using. You can fix Exchange to use specific
ports (see KB articles Q155831 and Q148732)
See KB article Q176466 for Exchange ports in general

What we have done at a customer site who wants full Outlook access to Exchange from outside the firewall is setup a VPN
that is in parallel. Trusted users can VPN in to the building and now appear to be inside ... they can run Outlook no
problem.

Dave Goldsmith