Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

re: sunrpc on port 111, ICQ/MSchat summary, anyone?

From: MHurlburt () nea org
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 7:58:18 EDT

Don my 0.02$

As for the 111 port question an observation:  I have witnessed similar
behavior when utilizing the Networker (v4.x) Remote Management service by
Legato on NT4 server.  Recall the Legato product like many others has been
traditionally Unix, with a port in recent years to NT.  If you are using this
product be careful when setting up your remote access security as it appears
to be clear text.

Mike

"don Wang" <donwang () uac com> Wrote:

| Hello, folks,
|
| I have been listening to your experts' opinions for a
| little while.
| Thanks for the Q&As. It's certainly quite an educational
| process!
|
| Here are my nuts. Hope you can help crack them. Thanks in
| advance!
|
| Don
|
| ----------------------------------------------------------
| -----
| I was monitoring our network lately (using a sniffer), and
| observed some
| peculiar packets:
| Source IP          Source Port     Dest. IP         Dest.
| Port
| protocol
| 192.168.1.11     111                192.168.1.4
| low
| UDP
| 192.168.1.4       low                192.168.1.11
| low
| TCP
| 192.168.1.4       low                192.168.1.11
| low
| TCP
| 192.168.1.4       low                192.168.1.11
| low
| TCP
| low: low port numbers (< 1024, somewhere around 500-900.
| yet not
| reserved ports)
|
| The whole network uses NT 4.0 platform, with a primary
| domain
| controller. Does anyone know why port 111 is used?
| (presumably port 111
| is reserved for sunrpc?)

Only the individual sender is responsible for the content of this
message, and the message does not necessarily reflect the position
or policy of the National Education Association or its affiliates.