Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

sunrpc on port 111, ICQ/MSchat summary, anyone?

From: don Wang <donwang () uac com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 18:39:44 -0400

Hello, folks,

I have been listening to your experts' opinions for a little while.
Thanks for the Q&As. It's certainly quite an educational process!

Here are my nuts. Hope you can help crack them. Thanks in advance!

Don

I was monitoring our network lately (using a sniffer), and observed some
peculiar packets:
Source IP          Source Port     Dest. IP         Dest. Port
protocol
192.168.1.11     111                192.168.1.4          low
UDP
192.168.1.4       low                192.168.1.11        low
TCP
192.168.1.4       low                192.168.1.11        low
TCP
192.168.1.4       low                192.168.1.11        low
TCP
low: low port numbers (< 1024, somewhere around 500-900. yet not
reserved ports)

The whole network uses NT 4.0 platform, with a primary domain
controller. Does anyone know why port 111 is used? (presumably port 111
is reserved for sunrpc?)

Noticed there was a flurry of conversation on the merits and risks of
ICQ/instant messaging. Since there were so much opposing views in there,
can someone give a balanced summary on the issue? I have seen  people
uses MSN chat, Linux ICQ (LICQ), among other messaging systems. Have you
heard of security breaches because of their usage?

We normally configured our firewall to only take TCP packets on standard
web ports (80 or 8080). Lately we have to temporarily re-configure it
such that we can go certain sites and get information from their
non-standard HTTP ports (random high ports). Is there particular reason
why people use non-standard ports for HTTP? or maybe we are a little
"overzealous" in restricting outside access? What about audio/video
streaming, or FTP through web browser (high ports)?