Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: strange icmp packets.

From: Darren Reed <avalon () coombs anu edu au>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 11:02:00 +1100 (EDT)

In some mail from Neil Ratzlaff, sie said:

We have been seeing these for many months.  Mostly at a very low level, and
I would not have noticed them at all except that they hit a private subnet
that has never had any machines on it.  They also hit other IP addresses
that do exist.  But when I see  icmp response packets when there was no
query packet, I assume an attempt at a stealth scan.

Whilst I haven't ruled out a stealth scan, I've never seen it appear to look
even vaguely ordered (even in a random way).

Darren