Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: strange icmp packets.

From: Bill_Royds () pch gc ca
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 15:25:23 -0500

I have been noticing these too. We have a valid class B behind our firewall but
many IP's are not in use and our firewall replaces all internal IP numbers by
its external NIC. We get many ICMP errors trying to return to these internal IP
numbers. Often when you look at the internal contents of ICMP, it is packets
with our addresses and source port just above 1024 and the destination addresses
dialup lines or shell accounts and destination ports 80 or 113 or 79 (common
services). The ack bit is set as if
they are spoofing return packets for likely open sessions.

Darren Reed <avalon () coombs anu edu au> on 99-03-17 02:59:20 AM

Please respond to Darren Reed <avalon () coombs anu edu au>