Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Survey.exe

From: Jean-Hugues Smits <j.h.smits () pointnet nl>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 13:53:25 +0200

Soo,
I did a my own little "Survey", and what did I find.....

That freaky little thing that appeared in the systray seemed to be some MS
guy with a purple hat, called "Survey Wizard."  I found 5 files (couldn't
find them with Ntexplorer so I used the cmd.exe, dir c:\ *survey*.* /s /b )
; survey.exe + Survey.dat (in \temp) and survey.INF, survey.ocx,
SurveyControl.dll (seems to be made by a company called NETQUEST) (\
\downloaded program files\ )
 They are created by Microsoft, and it appears to be a survey to "Measure
Customer Satisfaction with web site". Now I know that, I wish I could have
taken the "Survey".....
As I understand it's/uses ActiveX. I could find Registrykeys containing
pointers to this program. Further does it looks like it is supposed to send
mail (# U n a b l e   t o   l o a d   m a i l   s y s t e m   s u p p o r t
.  M a i l   s y s t e m   D L L   i s   i n v a l i d . ! S e n d   M a i
l   f a i l e d   t o   s e n d   m e s s a g e)

1 As I recall I never agreed upon taken a survey.
2 If I did agree it shouldn't  take up 100% CPU power.  Looks like a
trojaned DoS by Microsoft:-(

I do not understand everything I found out (newbie), but if someone is
interrested... just ask me for it and you more knowledgable (is that
english???) people might understand.

Jean-Hugues Smits
Pointnet Security Systems
j.h.smits () pointnet nl <mailto:j.h.smits () pointnet nl>