Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

How stateful is stateful inspection?

From: Lance Spitzner <spitzner () dimension net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 11:05:29 -0400 (EDT)

Recently I've been doing alot of research into how
stateful inspection works, specifically on CP FW-1.
I was hoping some of you FW-1 savay firewall-wizards
could review the whitepaper I posted and give it a sanity
check.

I developed a PERL script that takes the FW connections
table and outputs it into human readable form.  I then
built a variety of different packets and sent them through
the firewall.  With the PERL script, I was able to see how
connections were established and maintained in the state
table.  All results and source code can be found at
http://www.enteract.com/~lspitz/fwtable.html

I'm hoping to validate (or invalidate) my findings. I
also like to think you might be able to learn something :)

Thanks!

Lance Spitzner
http://www.enteract.com/~lspitz/papers.html
Internetworking & Security Engineer