Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: How stateful is stateful inspection?

From: "Sean Costello" <xlate () home com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 06:55:06 -0500

Lance,

the only attacks I'm currently aware of using mangeled
seq & ack #'s in the packet also heavily relies on an OS's
inability to deal with packet fragmentation (la tierra I
think...? something like that...).

FW1 inherently will not route a fragmented packet
before it has been fully reassembled.  This is known as
the fragmentation engine and provides inherent
protection against things like the PING of death and so
on.

In summary it eliminates any one of many exploitations
of various vendors poorly desisigned reassembly
mechanisms.

I don't know of any attacks which soley rely on the just
ability to manipulate the seq's & ack's so as to get
anything more than a rst connection.

Nor can I determine that any more damage can be done
than they are inherently able to cause just by virtue of
having a given port connection.

I realise that it isn't the most secure point of view but it
seems that any alternative would inccure an extremely
high price in performance and overhead.

Couldn't an IDS system key on the inevitable and
numerous RST's generated by a protected client.  If
more than two or three resets occure on a given clients
connection.  Seq & acks could then be sampled to
assure the integrity and legitimacy of a connection
which was deemed as suspicous.

Once confirmed the suspect connections could then be
reported to the SAM and removing them as a potential
threat.

This seems to me to be the far more efficient means of
locking down and reporting any attempt for abusing these
attributes.

just my two-cents...

Sean Costello
Network Engineer