Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: .gov/.mil threat ID

From: "Stout, Bill" <StoutB () pioneer-standard com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 18:25:13 -0500

The NSA at the RSA conference discussed their role in 'Information
Assurance', which is a more comforting way of saying they're into the
Internet Information Security business.  See Presidential Decision Directive
PDD-63 (related: http://www.ciop.gov/, and
http://www.ciao.gov/63factsheet.html).  They're concerned with the
'Interlocking Global Critical Infrastructure', which to them requires an
'active cyber defense'.  This comprises of the ability to protect, detect
and report, then respond to a threat.  Protect relies on personnel, detect
and report relies on operations, and respond relies on technology.
Technology is developed by industry, supplimented by Government-Of-The-Shelf
(GOTS) products.

One of the Directors said they only go as far as to report, they don't
police.  They collect information for their customers, and forward
information to the appropriate agency.  The ability to respond depends on
'industry developed' technology, where the NSA claims most of the security
vulnerabilities exist.  A new program for testing products according to
'common criteria' is planned where NIAP (National Information Assurance
Partnership) accredited commercial labs test products.  Soon to live will be
http://www.niap.gov/  (not online yet).

Their presentation documents state they're into Risk Management, and not
risk avoidance.  I'll see if I can get those documents posted at
http://www.isr.net/.

Bill Stout