Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: OSPF

From: Eric Vyncke <evyncke () cisco com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 11:57:30 +0200

Delayed reply due to vacations ;)

You cannot pass OSPF Hellos and LSA through a packet filter or
stateful inspection firewall: the reasons are:
- OSPF LSA and Hellos are multicast and most firewalls do not
  support multicast
- OSPF LSA and Hellos are sent with TTL=1 (meaning local net only)
  and all these firewalls will discard the packet due to 'time exceeded'

The only way to pass OSPF through a firewall is to use an OSPF proxy
(aka router ;-) ). But then, my personal feeling is that you open
too much to the outside.

Additional notes:
- you may want to use BGP (which uses TCP with TTL > 1) to pass routing
  information
- you may also authenticate OSPF packets with a MD5 hash

Hope this helps

-eric