Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Another Newbie with questions

From: Michael Kelley <michaelkelley () home com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 14:39:37 -0400

 Greetings,

 My company is going to have to open a internet connection soon in order
to do business with a client.
 The decision has been made to use a PIX <sp?> firewall. I'm told these
are some fairly stout devices and darned near impenetrable.

 It's looking more and more like I will be the guy doing the
maintainance of the Firewall/Security setup for our company . I don't
have much experience, but I'm told that I am the most paranoid person in
my department. <heh>

 I'm looking for is personal opinions regarding this device. I
understand it has logging capabilities and is configurable (I'm told
it's a bitch to configure). I've been doing my best to get up to speed
on the subject of network security. I've been reading "Firewalls and
Internet Security" by Cheswick and Bellovin, and "Hacker Proof" by
Klander and Renehan. I think I'm beginning to get a glimmer of
understanding about the issues I will have to deal with. I'm trying to
learn as much as possible so that when I examine log files, I can
understand what I'm looking at.
 I'd also like to know if there are things I should do to help shore up
any weaknesses in this type firewall if any.

 I've already started putting the bug in the ears of the deciding
authorities at the office about restricting internet access to only the
places we have to go. Since word got out that we will be getting access,
the "Gods' Must Be Crazy" syndrome(#1) has hit the office and suddenly,
everyone thinks they have a reason to have access to the Internet.
 I'm making a big deal out of describing how an unwitting user can bring
down a virus by grabbing the latest whack-a-mole game. (We use Inoculan,
so I'm not really that worried about viri on the network.) I am of the
opinion that if we begin with a drastic, "don't you dare go to Persian
Kitty", style of internet policy, it will be somewhat easier to maintain
productivity and reduce risks to the network.

#1- The Gods' Must Be Crazy Syndrome: Based on a movie of the same name.
When a remote tribe of people recieve an empty Coca Cola bottle dropped
from a plane flying overhead, they don't know what to do with it.
They've never seen one before. But soon, the tribe begins fighting
amongst themselves because all of a sudden, _everyone_ needs to use it.
 The same can be said for Internet access in a company that never had it
before.