Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Peculiar behavior of SSH--could this be the firewall? Or DNS problem?

From: William Stearns <wstearns () pobox com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 01:04:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Christopher C. Petro wrote:

Here's the basic set up:

Small office (15 people max) behind a Sonic Firewall doing NAT on a
SDSL line (northpoint). Connecting to a set of servers co-located at
a large colo facility. Behind a CheckPoint/Solaris firewall.

My home machine, running OpenBSD connected to a iDSL line (Covad)
connecting to the same machines.

SSH2 is giving me fits--I can connect from home just fine, but when I
try from any machine at the office (behind the firewall) I get
something to the effect of "Disconnected--no more authentication
methods available".

        Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Checkpoint, so this may not
be relevant at all.
        One quirk about ssh: the source port is not always a random port
above 1024.  If the client end has sshd running as root, it picks the
first available port _below_ 1024.
        Is there any change that Checkpoint's configuration only allows
for connections with source ports larger than 1024?  I'd recommend using,
say, 1000:65535 as the client port range for ssh instead of 1024:65535.

        The odds are not all that good that this is the source of your
problem, but at least it's a good bit of trivia when Alex Trebek
introduces the "Source Ports Used in IPV4 Protocols" category... *smile*
        Cheers,
        - Bill

        The thing that I suspect matters most is that Telsa is more
important to me than sitting in front of a computer reading email.
        - Alan Cox
William Stearns (wstearns () pobox com).  Mason, Buildkernel, named2hosts,
and ipfwadm2ipchains are at: http://www.pobox.com/~wstearns/