Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Peculiar behavior of SSH--could this be the firewall? Or DNS problem?

From: "Christopher C. Petro" <petro () atypon com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 15:24:36 -0700

Here's the basic set up:

Small office (15 people max) behind a Sonic Firewall doing NAT on a SDSL line (northpoint). Connecting to a set of servers co-located at a large colo facility. Behind a CheckPoint/Solaris firewall.

My home machine, running OpenBSD connected to a iDSL line (Covad) connecting to the same machines.

SSH2 is giving me fits--I can connect from home just fine, but when I try from any machine at the office (behind the firewall) I get something to the effect of "Disconnected--no more authentication methods available".

Then today I tried to connect from inside the firewall at the Colo to my machine at home and got the same thing.

This doesn't happen with ssh1.

Another thing is that when connecting (via ssh1) to the servers from the office, eventually we get a "connection reset by peer" if the terminal is left idle, but when I connect from home, I never time out (tested for 8 hours).

The only other possible weirdness is that our domain doesn't do a proper reverse lookup because my boss screwed up when he registered our domain, and internic is about as responsive as a 1974 ford station wagon with a bad rag joint and 2 blown cylinders.

Any clues for the Clueless? Did I miss something when I r'd the fm?
--
We have only come here seeking knowledge
Things they would not teach us of in college.--The Police

http://www.atypon.com                              petro () atypon com