Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: IP security

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 10:13:41 +1000 (EST)

In some email I received from Sandy Green, sie wrote:

I think that this would be an appropriate list to ask
this question about IP security.

when is and how would the shift to IP ver 6 start ?

It's starting.  The release of the next major version of the various
free BSD's will include IPv6 and IPsec.  Linux has support it as of
version 2.2. I believe you'll see some of the Unix vendors adopting
them in the next release cycle as well.  What the bunnies in Redmond
does, who knows ?  The only other people that matter are the router
vendors and I've not heard anything there.

are there any IP ver 6 products out in the market,
so that one could get a beta atleast. All major OS
vendors would have to support IP ver 6. so in effect
all TCP/IP stacks would be IP ver 6 compatible( and
ofcourse be IP ver 4 compatible too).

IP Filter will support IPv6 before the turn of the century.

Darren