Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Network Traffic Violations

From: Rick Smith <rick_smith () securecomputing com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 17:30:48 -0500

At 06:04 PM 9/11/98 -0400, Ted Doty wrote:

1. I wouldn't count on the cable companies to implement any security
mechanisms correctly.

Yep. They're newbies as ISPs go, and even "experienced" ISPs have security
problems. I expect an ISP to do enough security to limit service fraud to
affordable levels. I don't expect typical ISPs to do much else in general.

2. If you have IP services enabled (duh - it's an ISP connection) ...

Actually, I'm not sure the extent to which I can handle inbound
connections, because of the cable modem's NAT behavior. My machine at home
with the cable modem is a Mac. Seems I could try things out with the
infamous FTP "service" in NCSA Telnet...

Rick.
smith () securecomputing com