Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re[2]: Network Traffic Violations

From: Mike.Baxter () ashridge org uk (Mike Baxter)
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 12:53:33 +0100

  A hole connotes a security problem, as in "I found a great big hole
in sendmail." Rather, I call this "enabling an authorized connection."
 There may or may not be a hole associated with it.

     But setting up the ACL does not make the connection authorized, any
     application could use the ports. There needs to be some authentication
     process between the workstation, firewall, and information source.
     Otherwise when it is know that app X is used at an organisation,
     perhaps due to a comment on a mail list :-). It becomes know that
     access through the firewall can be made via those ports.

                        Mike Baxter