Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Penetration testing via shrinkware

From: David Collier-Brown <davecb () canada sun com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 12:14:04 -0400

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

Richard Christie wrote:
What your really driving at Marcus is developing software in a trusted manner.
Companies developing Firewall software should be evaluated by SEI for a
Capability Maturity Model (CMM) rating.

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
ARrrggghhHH!!!!
More formalistic nonsense scams! Does someone's ability to
predictably generate documentation really correlate to their
ability to produce a good product that works?? The SEI evaluation
may have some validity, but it strikes me more like an attempt
to do one of those ISO9000-oid certification scams.

        SEI is trying for reproducability, to oversimplify slightly.
        This is an orthogonal, if similar, goal to trusteable development.

        I wouldn't expect to find any causual relationships between
        the two: more like both will be caused by a third factor.

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,  | Cherish your enemies.  They're harder to
185 Ellerslie Ave.,   | come by than friends and more motivated.