Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FW-1: Questions about DHCP and IPX (Banned by US Mil? Here wego again!)

From: "Jason L. Snowden" <Jason.Snowden () f-15 wpafb af mil>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 12:16:48 -0400

Here we go again!  Does anyone have proof of any of this?  The subject of
FW1 being banned by the US Govt has been brought up, if not here, than on
the FW1 mailing list before.  To date, it has all been rumor.  No one has
come forward with proof, either a memo or, directive statememt or otherwise
stating this rumor as fact.  Yes, the code is Isreali developed.  This is
the first mention I've seen of "Iraqi-written code".  Me thinks this one is
starting to take on Urban Legend status.

Well, as I have said partially in another email, Here at Wright-Patt, the
88th Comm Group has forbidden us to use FW-1 due to these issues.  We have
Xylan switches, and FW-1 can be integrated at a hardware level directly in the
switches, so if we could use it, you can bet we would be.  The only solution
that they will support right now is SideWinder.

Jason L. Snowden, CNE-4.11