Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FW-1: Questions about DHCP and IPX (Banned by US Mil? Here we go again!)

From: "Ryan Russell" <ryanr () sybase com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 09:13:49 -0700

Now, is this a "ban" on a product for paranoia reasons or knowledge
of a back door?  Or is it simply a technical standard based on some
evaulation process?

Or is it the same thing?  The would ban has much different connotations
in my mind.  I have a particular firewall standard for my company, but
I don't think it would be fair to say I've banned other products, at
least I wouldn't use that wording.

                         Ryan

Please respond to "Jason L. Snowden" <Jason.Snowden () f-15 wpafb af mil>

Well, as I have said partially in another email, Here at Wright-Patt, the
88th Comm Group has forbidden us to use FW-1 due to these issues.  We have
Xylan switches, and FW-1 can be integrated at a hardware level directly in
the
switches, so if we could use it, you can bet we would be.  The only
solution
that they will support right now is SideWinder.

Jason L. Snowden, CNE-4.11