Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: linux firewal question (newbie)

From: HASSAN.KARIM () chase com
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 18:25:54 -0400

It seems that a port to Linux would cost NAI a couple of million bucks! NAI
would need quite abit of pressure to decide to put a $2 Million effort into
a free OS! Would the effort really be worth it? I mean, companies pay
$10,000 to $30,000 for Gauntlet.... If someone were interested in paying
$30K for a firewall, I'm sure they wouldn't mind paying $300-$600 for BSDi
which is fully supported (and has a sweet TCP stack if I might add).

If Gauntlet were supported, could someone clue me in to a reason why
someone would use Linux w/ Gauntlet as opposed to BSDi w/ Gauntlet? If
you're looking for more apps.... although BSDi has a slew of apps....
should you really be using your firewall for anything other than network
firewalling?  Just a thought.

If you are really interested in it... talk to the Gauntlet Product Manager
at NAI. Im sure he wants to hear about it.

-Hassan

"Kevin T. Shivers" <kshivers @ tis.com> on 10/09/98 02:18:41 PM

Please respond to "Kevin T. Shivers" <kshivers () tis com>