Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: linux firewal question (newbie)

From: "Huger, Alfred" <Alfred_Huger () NAI com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 15:29:18 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph S. D. Yao [SMTP:jsdy () cospo osis gov]
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 1998 12:08 PM
To:   kshivers () tis com
Cc:   HASSAN.KARIM () chase com; Stevesk () sweden hp com;
Firewall-Wizards () nfr net
Subject:      Re: linux firewal question (newbie)

At 06:25 PM 10/13/98 -0400, HASSAN.KARIM () chase com wrote:
It seems that a port to Linux would cost NAI a couple of million bucks!
NAI
would need quite abit of pressure to decide to put a $2 Million effort
into
a free OS! Would the effort really be worth it? I mean, companies pay
$10,000 to $30,000 for Gauntlet.... If someone were interested in
paying
$30K for a firewall, I'm sure they wouldn't mind paying $300-$600 for
BSDi
which is fully supported (and has a sweet TCP stack if I might add).

        [Huger, Alfred]
      NAI has no 'official' stance on supporting or not supporting Linux, or
any free OS for that matter. Be build our products on platforms our
customers
        demand them on. If you have a need to have it (Gauntlet) placed on
Linux, or any of the TNS (Total Network Security) products under Linux,
please send me mail and tell me precisely why. I would be happy to to
compile this mail and take it to my management here.

 Curious question.  I guess you need to ask such little companies as
IBM, Oracle, Netscape, Sybase, ... why they're supporting Linux.

        [Huger, Alfred]  Throw Intel and a couple of venture capitol firms
in there
         as well.

        Alfred Huger
        Director of Engineering (TNS)