Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Trusted Unices Aren't?

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark net>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 22:49:03 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998 jcp01 () ibm net wrote:

I've always been surprised that nobody has jumped on the "secure Web
server" market, especially in the commerce environments.

Data General did this - I saw their offering at NISSC about 3 yrs ago.

I guess I wasn't clear, I meant "jumped on", not just squeaked out an
offering.

Since DG/UX hasn't completed its evaluation, I really wasn't
thinking of them (and actually the work I've seen in that direction has
been through BDM (now TRW), not DG itself).

A couple of other vendors have taken the same "making lemonade from
lemons approach as well, but none of them have gotten much market share,
from what I can tell.

Yep, lemons are too sour, most people want their lemonade made from sugar
and water from what I can tell.

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () clark net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280