Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: future of IDS

From: "Bruce K. Marshall" <bkmarsh () feist com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 23:20:05 -0600

Ryan Russell wrote:

Intel will sell you a 1000b NIC.  Cisco just announced a bunch
of Gigabit Ethernet interfaces for their routers and switches.
They'll sell you copper or a few flavors of fiber, depending on how
far aware from the box you want to be.

I'm not saying you'll end up with anything useful or practical as an
IDS, but you can plug it all together and get frames back and forth.

I have just one problem with this: how do I plug my PC into one of those
gigabit uplink ports ?

Also, I imagine that the protocol on those connectors is proprietry, so
even if you could connect it, making sense of it would be the next trick.

    Hopefully someone hasn't already addressed this fact, but Data
Communications magazine recently ran an article on Gigabit Ethernet
protocol analyzers that answered some of these questions.  They looked at
products from HP, Network Associates and G&W.

    I would give you a direct link, but there web site is currently
reporting "Service Temporarily Unavailable"  Visit http://www.data.com ;
hopefully the site will be available and the article easy to find.

--
Bruce K. Marshall, CISSP - bkmarsh () feist com