Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: INtrusion Detection

From: Adam Shostack <adam () homeport org>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 14:34:07 -0500 (EST)

        I'd like to add to Tom's points by pointing out that computer
security is not like printing; its hard to see that things are broken.
If we fail to point out flaws in (attack) each others work, we don't
know if things are being well built.  If we were building suspension
bridges, storms would bring down a lot of bridges.  As engineers, we
would then study the failures of those bridges, and do a better job
next time.  Think of the SNI paper and Vern's paper as small storms.

        Papers like 'Goto Considered Harmful' and 'No Silver Bullet'
are large storms, in case you were wondering what qualifies. :)

Adam

--
                                                       -Hume