Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Practical Firewall Metrics

From: Michael Brennen <mbrennen () fni com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 10:26:20 -0600 (CST)

I'm surprised you support this for the simple reason you point out:
vendors can claim anything they want.  Calling a template a "highly
paranoid access policy" is useless unless you have the understanding
to verify that it in fact does what you need. I distrust vendor
packages / templates / etc. for precisely this reason: I don't trust
them to keep *my* best interest beyond *their* own best interest.
Without a well defined impartial standard and common terminology,
templates don't mean anything beyond the marketing language used.

I think you are advocating an external template standard, but
templates per se without a standard don't seem to be any good because
we are back to lack of understanding.  IMO of course.

   -- Michael