Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Q on external router

From: tqbf () secnet com
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 02:24:44 -0500 (CDT)

Even more unfair... I agree with you regarding Vmailer/sendmail but
I would compare sendmail = hub and vmailer = switch. The former

And you would be wrong.

VMailer is *specifically and explicitly designed* to be more secure than
Sendmail.

The point that Adam Shostack is making, and that I am agreeing vigorously
with, is that switches are NOT *specifically designed* to be more secure
than hubs. The fact that the process of switching Ethernet makes sniffing
attacks harder is a side effect, not a design goal.

Thomas H. Ptacek                                        Secure Networks, Inc.
http://www.enteract.com/~tqbf    "If you're so special, why aren't you dead?"