Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SSL proxy info

From: Adam Shostack <adam () homeport org>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 21:46:24 -0400 (EDT)

        I think a cryptographic MITM approach is a generally good one,
for high value traffic.  There are two problems with a MITM proxy,
which we need to be aware of.  The first is performace.  A Sparc 20
can handle about 15-20 SSL negotiations in a second.  If you need to
do two per connection (inside and outside), your proxy has no time to
do anything but negotiate at 10 SSL requests per second.  The second
is that your SSL proxy just became a fat target, whose comprimise
gives an attacker an awful lot of interesting data.  Its not clear to
me what criteria to use for deciding if a MITM is worthwhile.

        An alternative would be to re-write the TLS spec (TLS2?) to
allow confidentiality and authenticity keys to be seperately
negotiated, so that the proxy can partake in the confidentiality
negotiation, but the authentication is kept out of his hands.  This is
not a trivial engineering task, and I suspect that there will need to
be several revs, as this is a complex three party negotiation, which
will be easy to bollux up.

        Are there disadvantages to using DH instead of RSA?

Adam

--
                                                       -Hume