Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [External] Re: [SECURITY] DMCA Violation

From: Julian Y Koh <kohster () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 20:47:58 +0000

On Feb 18, 2020, at 14:45, Thomas Carter <tcarter () AUSTINCOLLEGE EDU<mailto:tcarter () AUSTINCOLLEGE EDU>> wrote:

Even though we block P2P, when I look at the firewall logs, I still see a significant number of student devices
throughout the year trying connections. I suspect many of them have their P2P app run at startup and so it’s always
trying. Even with a tiny amount of bandwidth, they’ll still keep trying and downloading throughout the semester.  We
considered the limited bandwidth option, but if you’re effectively breaking it, why not just block it?

It’s been quite a while since I had to deal with this directly, but my fuzzy memory is telling me that way back when it
was a best practice to allow just a tiny bit of bandwidth for the P2P file sharing apps because if you completely
blocked them, they would get more aggressive with respect to port hopping and other evasion techniques.

--
Julian Y. Koh
Associate Director, Telecommunications and Network Services

2020 Ridge Avenue #331
Evanston, IL 60208
+1-847-467-5780
Northwestern IT Web Site: <http://www.it.northwestern.edu/>