Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SOP for Managing Phishing/Ransomware Attempts

From: Frank Barton <bartonf () HUSSON EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 09:30:53 -0400

Steven, you make a very good point about the use of pulling of messages, We
have used that ability a total of 3 times here, all for malicious (in a
technical, not in a personal sense) content. Who in your organization makes
the final call as to if a message can be pulled?
We're a fairly small school, and a GAFE School, and we use GAM in those
cases where we do pull a message - even so, it can take over 90 minutes for
a full pass to happen to pull a message. This is "okay" when we are talking
about a single message that we can identify easily (say a single MessageID
sent to a large number of people) When we have to check for multiple
MessageIDs, it takes substantially longer to check all of the mailboxes.
When we do run a pull, I live in fear of casting my net to wide, and
pulling messages that should not have been pulled. What tool(s) do you use
for pulling messages, and how do you filter the messages to make sure you
only hit those messages that you want to hit, while still hitting all of
them?

We also have outbound spam filtering, which has detected a number of
account compromises - though I have noticed this being less effective as
time goes on (more compromised accounts are sending out a lower quantity of
a "higher" quality spam/phishing messages that don't get caught)

Thank You
Frank

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 1:46 AM, Steven Alexander <steven.alexander () kccd edu