Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SOP for Managing Phishing/Ransomware Attempts

From: James Valente <jvalente () SALEMSTATE EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 03:44:43 +0000

I also try to reach out to the school's CISO/Director of Infosec/Analyst/Whoever is on the WHOIS record and let them
know about the compromised account if I see a phish coming from another .edu.

We've ended up on some RBLs in the past after a compromised account so I figure trying to let the school know about the
account ASAP can really help with allowing them to secure the account before it gets to that point. It really saves
everybody the trouble of dealing with submitting requests, if even an option, to be removed from blacklists.

--James