Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: gamer clubs

From: Dexter Caldwell <dexter.caldwell () FURMAN EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 21:56:03 +0000

If it's not too much effort or maintenance, I say let them play.  A few years ago, I considered hosting a few LAN
parties as special events for students who wanted to do it, but they found ways to do it themselves and luckily we
didn't get many requests.  I'd try to accommodate them if I had equipment and other resources.  Probably wouldn't offer
much in the way of support.  Just the raw config they need to see each other as peers in a location.  I say let them
have fun if you can manage expectations and requests.  That small amount of goodwill will probably do more good than
harm.  Would depend on how often they meet and whether they'd need me to keep changing configurations etc to suit them
though.  That would be a non-starter.  But if there's a suitable static location, I'd consider it.