Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Response to phishing e-mails

From: Brandon Hume <Brandon.Hume () DAL CA>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 20:24:54 -0300

On 28/10/2014 6:32 PM, Nick Semenkovich wrote:
Why would students care about a school e-mail they may rarely use, perhaps didn't want, and will likely disappear in a few years? Because it impacts some external spam score metric that's of little importance to them?

The phishing exploitation we've had to deal with has had a fairly large percentage of the spam going out under the user's own name. So when I encounter this particular attitude, I remind them that all that wire fraud, the ads for drugs, Russian brides, and so on, has been forever immortalized by the Internet. In their name. The first thing a prospective employer will type into Google.

It comes down to: "Good luck finding a job."